Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 15:18:53 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org
On 3/2/12 3:11 PM, Mark Watson wrote:
> That you can use the service on any device that supports it and not on others is also obvious (even tautological).

Why?  It's not obvious to me, and seems broken at first glance.  Why
shouldn't any device be able to support any service, a priori?

> However, these are product differences, not a question of good and bad technology. We don't use committees to decide which products are good and which are bad.

People try to use committees all the time to influence which products
are viable in the market and which are not.

That's precisely my concern in this situation: that the de-facto outcome
of this specification would be the creation of anticompetitive barriers
enforced by reference to the specification....

I'd love to be wrong about that.

-Boris