RE: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:27:03 +0000
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
CC: "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>
On Friday, March 02, 2012 1:41 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> > The underlying content protection systems are things like PlayReady (from
> > Microsoft), Widevine (from Google) and Marlin. Adobe have something, but I
> > don't know what they call it.
>
> As a co-proposer, does Microsoft plan to integrate PlayReady into IE?
> As a co-proposer, does Google plan to integrate Widevine into Chrome?
> Do the co-proposers plan to make their CDMs available to other
> browsers? Do the co-proposers plan to provide APIs that'd allow adding
> other CDMs to their browsers?

We generally don't share future product plans until we have something concrete to
show. I don't have anything to announce for Microsoft at this time.

We do believe that the proposal supports a variety of content protection systems
and the way that different services often use different communication means even
when sharing the same underlying protection technology.

Cheers,

Adrian.