Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 10:37:44 -0800
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> Henri,
>
> Reading your mail I have a feeling we are talking a little at crossed
> purposes. Part of this could be because the proposal is not yet clear enough
> on the nature of CDMs and these discussions are very helpful in eeking out
> the issues which need to be explained/addressed.
>
> To clarify:
> - a browser can have multiple CDMs for different keysystems
> - what we propose to standardize is the discovery, selection and interaction
> with CDMs, not the CDMs themselves (not unlike the current situation with
> codecs).

One point that has been made multiple times is that the current
situation with codecs is *horrible*.  It is not a good solution that
we should attempt to emulate; it's a filthy, painful hack that was the
best we could do if we wanted a <video> element, given the standoff
between browsers on which to support.  If there was a way to go back
in time and convince everyone to use a single codec, that would be
*great*.

We should not add another codec-war-style situation to the web
platform unless we absolutely can't avoid it and the payoff is
sufficiently great.

~TJ