Re: Using ARIA in HTML

On 29 June 2012 13:23, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have posted an intial draft of a document I have been working on which
> attempts to provide practical advice to developers on what ARIA to use in
> HTML.
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/aria-unofficial/raw-file/tip/index.html
>

> My intention is to provide a non normative resource that fills in the gaps
> in the current HTML5 specification and a document that is more readable
> (i.e. less jargonist) It does deviate from HTML5 in some of its
> suggestions, these deviations are based on current implementation realities.
>
> all feedback welcome

This is extremely useful!  It took me a short while to understand the "Use
default ARIA semantics?" column.  Can I just check?

It looks like NO means that ARIA attributes are NOT REQUIRED if you wish
them to be their default values.

However, I'm not sure whether YES means they are REQUIRED or OPTIONAL, as
in, whether you MUST use them or whether you MAY use them, if you wish them
to be their implied defaults.

Where the default says NONE, N/A for this column makes sense (because there
is no default), and this is the value for most rows, but a few rows have
YES or NO.  I *guess* NO means an ARIA attribute is NEVER required and YES
means an ARIA attribute is ALWAYS required, but on these particular rows
I'm not 100% sure what's right.

--
Lee