From: hsivonen@gmail.com [mailto:hsivonen@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Henri Sivonen
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:25 AM
To: Alex Giladi
Cc: Mark Watson; Bob Lund; Glenn Adams; public-html WG
Subject: Re: MPEG2-TS activity in Bugzilla

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Alex Giladi <alex.giladi@huawei.com> wrote:
> Yes, the text is non-normative.

What matters the most is who is planning to implement it and in what
context. Support for H.264/AAC/MP4 isn't normatively required, either,
but, still, it is increasingly the case that in order to render the
Web a browser needs to support H.264/AAC/MP4. Thus, leaving stuff
non-normative does not guarantee that encumbered technologies stay out
of the Web.

Who is planning to implement H.264/AAC/TS and in what context? Who is
planning to implement MPEG-2 video/legacy MPEG audio/TS and in what
context? By "context" I mean desktop browser, mobile browser, cable
set-top box, etc.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Alex Giladi <alex.giladi@huawei.com> wrote:
> In context of adaptive streaming, I believe that MPEG-2 TS will be also
> useful for HLS support as well.

Why isn't MP4 in DASH sufficient for H.264/AAC adaptive and live streaming?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi