Re: Discussion on ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 15:22:12 -0700
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>, "Steven Faulkner (faulkner.steve@gmail.com)" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "Michael(tm) Smith (mike@w3.org)" <mike@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "Philippe Le Hegaret (plh@w3.org)" <plh@w3.org>, "Sam Ruby (rubys@intertwingly.net)" <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
On Jul 26, 2012, at 11:56 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

>> This text needs to be changed to:
>>
>> "The arguments object's control member references an element with a valid id."
>>
> To add some context to Rich's point (which I did not understand until I read the full diff text), it appears that hit regions backed by elements are limited to hyperlinks, buttons, checkboxes and radio buttons. If you specify any other element, the method will throw an exception. It's not clear to me why other elements are categorically excluded from backing a hit region.

The HTML editor was quite vocal in his opposition to other uses of Canvas in user interface authoring. The text as available in the CP simply reinstates the editors changes.

As a group, the Canvas attendees decided against such restrictions. The HTML5 Editor did not attend any of these discussions.

-Charles