Re: Proposed adaptive image element

On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 14:42 -0500, Laura Carlson wrote:
> >  but I would recommend moving
> > that bug to HTML.next,
>
> A few questions: Is there a timeline with milestones for HTML.next?

I don't think there is one yet. I believe the intent here is to get the
new editors up to speed, get them to catch on the HTML5 front first
before putting a draft together for HTML.next. So I guess that this is
going to be worked out in the next few weeks.

> Could adaptive images be mentioned in the charter as a deliverable?

At the moment, the charter gives a few examples on what could be part of
HTML.next but the list isn't intended to be exhaustive. We tried to pick
the most obvious ones. That's why you have the media extensions API, the
new canvas 2d ideas, web components, web intent, and media capture.
Those are already worked on in the HTML Working Group or in others (web
apps and DAP). If we try to list them all, we'll fail to do so since
there is unpredictability here. Since the adaptive image extends the
HTML language, it is clear that it falls in the HTML.next bandwagon. As
such, it's in scope for the new charter and I don't feel the need to
list it explicitly.

> If I remember correctly, I think at one time Paul said that this proposal
> could be discussed as part of the charter discussion.

Correct, but the Group decided at the f2f to keep the charter pretty
much open-ended, we're covered on the charter side at least.

> > if the stakeholders are willing.
>
> Mat, which do you prefer? Keeping the bug in HTML5 or moving it to  HTML.next?

imho, if we want to have a chance to close on HTML5, we should stop
accepting new features in the spec and push them into HTML.next instead.
Adaptive images seem to me a perfect example of what I would call a new
feature. I would suggest that the proposal be fleshed in a separate
document for now and, later on, either pushed to the HTML editors to be
incorporated into an HTML.next draft or pushed as a separate deliverable
(similar to what is done for the media extensions at the moment).

Philippe