Re: FW: ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30 and ISSUE-203 processing order

Hi Paul,

I request that ISSUE-194 please be placed after ISSUE-30 in the
Co-Chairs plan and that the 194 survey be put on hold until after
ISSUE-30 is decided in LC1. This is not only because both issues have
identical design decisions to adjudicate with regard to on-page IDREF
verses off-page URL attribute functionality but also because one
ISSUE-194 proposal [1] specifically cites longdesc and visual
presentation in its rationale.

The ISSUE-194 no change proposal makes assumptions based the ISSUE-30
outcome i.e., "If we didn't have a transcript, but a different long
description document available, the transcript link would be empty and
the long description link would have the link. Therefore, the
transcript link does not provide any additional information and is
therefore redundant."

That proposal goes further assuming that a "replacement for @longdesc
is under discussion for HTML.next". This statement is prejudicial to
ISSUE-30. longdesc may be expanded in LC2. [2]

A positive outcome to include longdesc in HTML5 for ISSUE-30 will
remove assumptions. In any event is better not to base  decisions on
assumptions [3].

Also the ISSUE-30 change proposal to include longdesc supplies spec
text to HTML5's 10.6.1 rendering section which addresses visual
presentation and could be added to  the @transcriptURL proposal.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ISSUE-194/NoChange
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0211.html
[3] "Errant Assumptions are the Root Cause of All Poor Decisions." -
Peter Drucker

--
Laura L. Carlson