: Using ARIA in HTML

From: Sunyang (Eric) <eric.sun@huawei.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:28:39 +0000
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
CC: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Steve:

Thanks for your document.
I am new to a11y, so I spend some time to review and try to understand ARIA in HTML.

Alt is easy for understanding, is just some text will be reading to assist people know what is the image/video/
But for the role, I feel a little confused, in your using ARIA in HTML, if we define role in an element, the element will be change to another kind of element.
I cannot understand whats benefit to change the element to another using role, why?

And I also see that role can also be a class like attribute, like presentation, whats the meaning?

Sorry for so many questions ;)

________________________________
Yang Sun
Email: eric.sun@huawei.com
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
http://www.huawei.com

________________________________
ʼ丽лΪ˾ıϢڷ͸ַгĸ˻Ⱥ顣
ֹκκʽʹãȫ򲿷ֵй¶ơɢʼ
Ϣ˱ʼ绰ʼ֪ͨ˲ɾʼ
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by

: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
ʱ: 2012629 20:23
ռ: HTMLWG WG
: HTML Accessibility Task Force
: Using ARIA in HTML

I have posted an intial draft of a document I have been working on which attempts to provide practical advice to developers on what ARIA to use in HTML.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/aria-unofficial/raw-file/tip/index.html

My intention is to provide a non normative resource that fills in the gaps in the current HTML5 specification and a document that is more readable (i.e. less jargonist) It does deviate from HTML5 in some of its suggestions, these deviations are based on current implementation realities.

all feedback welcome

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner