Re: [html5] inline table

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:24:46 +0000:
>>>
>>> Example: The <object> element is supposed to be able to contain
>>> fallback for AT etc. And so, an image of a diagram could use a table
>>> as fallback.
>>
>> Can anyone give an example of real content where a diagram is inline
>> *and* the appropriate fallback would be a table?
>
> What does 'inline' mean? You pointed Andrew to HTML5, for another
> approach to what a 'paragraph' is. Well, anything inside a paragraph is
> inline.

I'm trying to work out what end-user problem Andrew is trying to solve.

By "inline" I mean here presented as an inline block within a text
block. For example, people sometimes typeset equations as inline
blocks within text rather than breaking them out into separate blocks
(MathML blobs handle this case for HTML5)? What table receives
equivalent typesetting?

>>> It is a bit unpractical to change the parent element just because the
>>> child element happens to to be an <object> with fallback, no?
>>
>> Aesthetically unpleasing, sure. But impractical? Likely not as
>> impractical as changing the parsing of <p>.
>
> You are wrong: It is not a parsing issue. The parsing handles this
> fine. It does not require any change of the HTML5 parser. It is solely
> a conformance issue.

I'll take your word for it, but how would requiring Andrew use an
<object> around his inlined table be more aesthetically pleasing than
requiring him to use a <div> in place of a <p>?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis