RE: Revert Request

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:11:28 +0100
To: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Cc: 'Matthew Turvey' <mcturvey@gmail.com>, 'Silvia Pfeiffer' <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, 'Laura Carlson' <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, 'Sam Ruby' <rubys@intertwingly.net>, 'Paul Cotton' <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, 'Maciej Stachowiak' <mjs@apple.com>, 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>
John Foliot, Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:57:22 -0800:
> Matthew Turvey wrote:

> The problem with trying to push html-rich content into some kind of hidden
> or off-screen location is that once done so, *the Accessibility APIs* - not
> the browsers, not the screen readers, the Operating system APIs, flatten
> that text to string text and any and all HTML markup is lost. And there is a
> very good reason for this - tab focus.
>
> I first brought this to the attention of the Working Group in an email
> almost a year ago (24 Feb 2011 -
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0415.html) <snip>

Just one detail: John, back then, you said the correct thing about
@aria-describedby, quote:
 ''It strips all semantic information from the content''
In contrast, then above it sounds as if you say that it is hidden-ness
that causes the semantic flattening to happen.
--
Leif Halvard Silli