Re: Meta element to prevent resending post data

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:05:04 -0000, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com
<mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Currently, if a page is result of POST request, trying to refresh it in
> browser do result in browser message confirming that user really wants
> to refresh page that will result in resending form data that is already
> sent. If user do not want to resend data, it ends up with complete
> _impossibility_ to refresh page without manual focusing location bar and
> pressing Enter key.

I think this is a quality of implementation issue.

For example Opera does not ask this question at all— Back button never
re-sends POST (this is what RFC 2616 §13.13[1] suggests), and Reload
always re-sends (since this is an explicit instruction from the user
already, there is no need to ask).

I find this to be quite good behavior. There are no annoying requesters at
all, Back button navigation is always smooth, and it works with all pages
already.

It may be easier to convince other browser vendors to implement history
and caching according to RFC 2616 §13.13, rather than to define a
workaround and add it to all pages.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec13.html#sec13.13

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński