Re: Revert Request

Silvia and Chairs,

On 20th December the chairs said in their review of Jonas' CP, that:
«this proposal suggests a material change, namely allowing
aria-describedby to reference hidden elements». And that «this proposal
should be updated to show that either some use cases cannot be fully
met without this change, or that some cases cannot be met as
effectively without this change, or some combination. Otherwise, there
will be no reason to consider this proposal over the zero change
proposal».

This review alone, could be enough to ask for a revert.

Note that I tend to agree with Silvia, that from ARIA's point of view,
then @hidden - as noted in HTML5's ARIA section - is just a synonym for
@aria-hidden='true'. My reading of ARIA is that it does permit that
aria-describedby points to an element with @aria--hidden='true'. Like
Silvia, I'm therefore not certain that the @aria-describedby/@hidden
change contradicts with @longdesc any more than ARIA as such eventually
does. A review from the ARIA community to clarify the issue would be
welcome.

But that said, the @aria-describedby/@hidden change offers an advantage
compared to the alternative: It is simpler and probably more secure [at
least in the minds of many site owner] to use compared with the
alternative, which would be
      [aria-hidden=true]{display:none}
However, the consequence of Jonas' proposal would be that *no users*,
except AT users with ARIA supporting software, would get to see such
image descriptions. In contrast, it has never been important to the
@longdesc supporters, that @longdesc content gets hidden from other
users, rather, we want @longdesc content to be available to all. So
this seems on its head, when we consider that those in opposition to
@longdesc often argue that use of @longdesc causes content to be hidden
from non-AT users.

Note as well that there is no permission to link to @hidden content,
and as such @longdesc could not be used to link to @hidden content,
whereas @aria-describedby could. Why? Is that fair or logical? Or
perhaps it is @hidden that needs to change? After all, links are often
'javascripted' to activate hidden sections. But HTML5 forbids such kind
of linking.

Also if the zero change proposal, due to its current concurrence with
Jonas' proposal in this detail, now is considered to reflect what Jonas
proposed, then should it not offer offer the same use cases as Jonas
was asked to provide?

So, while it *might* be that this issue is not as problematic Laura
says, it definitely needs to be reviewed. One way - and the most
logical way - to have that review, is if the editor reverts this change
and Jonas updates his CP.

Therefore I concur with Laura's request.

Leif H Silli

Silvia Pfeiffer, Fri, 27 Jan 2012 00:25:46 +1100: