Re: Request to Reconsider Alt Guidance Location

hi leif,

> May be. But if I don't know the other languages, then it is just a
> distractions. I don't need to read about ODF — or Word — if my focus on
> HTML.

I do not think this is what's being suggested,as an example:

the wcag techniques  provide technology specific techniques on how to
hide a decorative image:
all of which

for HTML
H67: Using null alt text and no title attribute on img elements for
images that AT should ignore
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/H67.html

for Flash:
FLASH3: Marking objects in Flash so that they can be ignored by AT
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/FLASH3.html

For PDF
PDF4: Hiding decorative images with the Artifact tag in PDF documents
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/PDF4.html

For CSS
C9: Using CSS to include decorative images
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/css.html#C9

All of which are methods to conform to the normative requirement:
Success Criterion 1.1.1 (Non-text Content)
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#text-equiv-all

"Decoration, Formatting, Invisible: If non-text content is pure
decoration, is used only for visual formatting, or is not presented to
users, then it is implemented in a way that it can be ignored by
assistive technology."

regards
Stevef

On 25 February 2012 01:08, Leif Halvard Silli

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG