Re: Request to Reconsider Alt Guidance Location

Janina Sajka, Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:05:05 -0500:

>> Sorry. I admit that it was hard to grok.
>>
> OK. Then let me point you to items #3 and #4 in the third paragraph of
> the Summary section. What is your response? Do you agree, or no?
>
> Is alternative text just about HTML or no?

Of course not. E.g. the ARIA 1.0 spec is for any mark-up based host
language. But it is not new info that alternative text is not an issue
specific to HTML5.

In a way, what you say, is that Ian and Steve's two spec's are so good
with regard to @alt, that what their content should be lifted out of
HTML5 and be made applicable for — I guess — images in general. So on
one side the CP focuses on problems within the HTML working group, on
the other side it says that is has produced good and useful texts on
@alt.

At any rate: The document 'HTML5 techniques for providing useful text
alternatives' remains a HTML5 specific document. Why else should the
HTML working group be co-responsible for it?
--
Leif Halvard Silli