Re: Request to Reconsider Alt Guidance Location

Janina Sajka, Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:41:18 -0500:
> Leif Halvard Silli writes:
>> Btw, I agree that two HTML5 specs should not contradict each others.
>> But I do think HTML5 'proper' should contain basic advice and rules.
>
> Are you asserting that alternative text applies only to HTML?

Why do you ask, when the CP *does* suggest to have have a HTML5
specific guide - in the form of Steve's alt techniques spec? Changing
his spec to be a co-deliverable of the HTML WG and the WAI WG, does not
change that it is a HTML5 specific text. That you also, at the same
time, want to make it less normative, also do no change that it is
HTMl5 specific.

If this CP was accepted, then how could there be any @alt text
validation in the HTML5 validator? Would that kind of validation not
need an extra step - e.g. a separate A11Y validation? The CP is
critical about HTML5's options for not including the @alt attribute.
But how does the fact that the CP suggests to 'Remove normative aspects
of the techniques document', make a difference to that problem?

I think it would be great if the @alt text rules could be simplified.
And in that regard, it has been claimed it is better to have short and
clear advice rather than longwinded and intricate advice - which can be
important too, but short and clear rules are also needed.

With regard to WCAG 2.0, then I don't have a problem with it, but have
a problem with its normativeness: The general rules are normative,
while the concrete techniques are only non-normative advice — one often
gets to hear that it is just the opinion of those who contributed to
the technique. It is confusing.

The good thing with a normative spec is that what it is says tried out
and wetted more thoroughly than non-normative specs. At least, that is
my perception of the effect of being normative.

I am not complete and forever opposed to having it in a separate spec
and to make that spec less normative. But I see the above mentioned
issues with the proposed direction.
--
Leif Halvard Silli