Re: Issue 131 Change Proposal

On 2/11/2012 2:06 PM, Frank Olivier wrote:
> We should split this issue into the following two issues:
>
> [a] Reading (static) text from a canvas element / defining how authors indicate where (static) text is on a canvas element
> Define what author guidance and methods should be used to enable users to find and read static text that has been rendered onto a canvas. This might include enabling caret browsing and text selection.
> [b] Text editing in canvas
> Define what author guidance and methods should be used to create accessible text editors using canvas as a rendering surface.

I would very much like to have these as two separate issues.

That said: I am very concerned that the real-world examples we've
presented for item [a] will be discarded in the process.
It is absolutely critical that [a] include caret browsing and text
selection.

If it is removed from the scope of [a], then we are once again lost.

As for item [b], I think it's quite important to open it as a new issue.
Item [b] brings up IME, which item [a] does not.

That's a really important distinction and merits its own issue and CP
process.

BOTH of the issues require caret browsing and text selection.

EVERYONE should be aware that these are abstractions based on decades of
precedent. They are analogous to mouse events and keyboard events. It's
entirely possible that pointer events come from something other than a
mouse and that keyboard events come from something other than a
keyboard. It's entirely possible that focus events come from something
other than pointer and keyboard events. And it's entirely possible that
caret browsing and text selection would be used for items that are not
considered "text" in the standard meanings of using a system provided font.

-Charles