Re: Using @aria-describedby for long described image links [Was: Using an image map for long described image links [Was: Revert Request]]

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:50:02 +0100
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Matthew Turvey <mcturvey@gmail.com>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Jonas Sicking, Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:27:22 -0800:

>> Just to clarify: Are you saying that whenever @aria-describedby points
>> to *non-hidden* content, then Firefox presents the fragment[s] that it
>> points to with full semantics?
>
> Yes.
>
>> In my previous tests, with VoiceOver, then I could not hear any
>> difference that depended on whether the element[s] to which
>> @aria-describedby pointed, were visible or not.
>
> Please file a bug and provide a testcase. Feel free to cc me.

Can you recommend a version of Firefox and a version of some AT, to
start testing with?

NOTE: What I am looking for is that the full semantics are exposed as
long as the element to which @aria-describedby points, is *not*
hidden.  For example, the element to which @aria-describedby points,
could for instance be located at the bottom of the page, but without
being hidden..

Tonight, I have checked, once more, that VoiceOver on Mac OS X Leopard,
does not - at least not in its default settings - reveal 'full
semantics', such as links, tables or headings if and when
@aria-describedby points to a, fully visible, section on the page.
--
Leif Halvard Silli