Questions about the video element

From: Wonsuk Lee <wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 08:32:20 +0900
To: public-html@w3.org
Cc: dw.im@samsung.com, 'ּ' <sh9.choi@samsung.com>, '赿' <donggwan.kim@samsung.com>, '' <minhyung.ko@samsung.com>
Hi. All.

I have some questions about the video element.
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/single-page.html#the-video-element)

If we give width and height to the video element, video will be scaled
regarding the given size.

Then, how about this? No given size to the video element, and small size of
div element which is parent of the vedeo element.

Below is the example.

Let's say the intrinsic size of the sample.mp4 is 300px/300px.

<video src="sample.mp4" />

In this case, is the video supposed to be down-scaled? or, rendered only
1/4 of the video which is left-top corner.
(Latter is how Chrome browser works.)

Actually, the spec says like this.
 - In the absence of style rules to the contrary, video content should be
rendered inside the element's playback area such that the video content is
shown centered in the playback area at the largest possible size that fits
completely within it, with the video content's aspect ratio being
preserved.

But I cannot fully understand what the "playback area" means in the context.
I'm thinking the "playback area" means the div region in above case. Am I
right?

Could anyone make clear this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wonsuk.

   (Wonsuk, Lee) / Principal Engineer, Ph.D

SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS Co., LTD. (߲)

Mobile: +82-10-5800-3997

E-mail:  <mailto:wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com> wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com

 <http://www.wonsuk73.com/> http://www.wonsuk73.com/, twitter: @wonsuk73

Inspire the World, Create the Future !!!