Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback by Amicable Resolution

On 8/22/2012 10:11 AM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> On 8/22/2012 9:54 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

>>> The "Eoconnor" CP is a vast departure from the spec as it existed prior
>>> and as it is implemented.
>>> I don't believe one week is enough time to complete and submit a
>>> concrete counter-proposal.
>>
>> The chairs are not likely to grant an unbounded request for
>> additional time.
>

> Please extend the deadline to Sept 7th.

I've not heard back on my request for an extension.

While I believe we have the pieces of an "amicable" resolution to
ISSUE-201, we have some significant issues with the active CP referenced
here. There are over a dozen changes being introduced in the Eoconnor
CP, most of them are irrelevant or unnecessary to solving ISSUE-201. For
instance, as a "positive effect" the author lists "Authors can easily
draw dashed lines and ellipses". Further, instead of composing an actual
proposal, the author simply blankets a reinstatement of eight major
patches to the Canvas specification.

I'd wager that not even Eoconnor knows what the actual, concrete, result
of his proposal would be. That's a problem.
The original author of those changes introduced them not under the
context of ISSUE-201, but with the following statement: "I just added a
bunch of things to the <canvas> 2D API".

I will submit a CP addressing ISSUE-201 directly. I will also submit
follow-ups to the other proposals put forward in the Eoconnor document:
I do not believe they are relevant to solving ISSUE-201, but they are
clearly relevant to the author of the CP, and to the chairs, as the
chairs have stated that [new] editors will be directed to apply the
changes without further vetting.

----

 From a retrospective: We worked for several years to gain a consensus
amongst vendors and editors about ISSUE-201. For most of that time, much
of the group was against supporting canvas hit regions. With hundreds of
hours of work, we now have an atmosphere where the majority of the group
agrees that canvas hit regions should be supported. That is the big win,
and we have it. We also were able to establish that the baseline
information of the current font should be exposed to authors.

Here I am, in 2010, requesting access to baseline information:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2010Jul/0148.html

The amount of push-back I received from that message was absolutely
astounding. We are now in a place where it's universally accepted that
the descent metric should be available.

My point is, we made a lot of progress in changing minds. There is
universal agreement that ISSUE-201 should be resolved with a method
which takes the current path, and accepts an element as a single
argument, that pointer events should forward and that the region
information of that element should match the bounds of the path
specified. We have universal agreement that the vertical offset
resulting from setting textBaseline should be exposed to authors.

That's what we needed to resolve ISSUE-201, it took years to get it, and
we have it now. I appreciate that the chairs want these issues resolved.
We're doing that, and we have a more appropriate atmosphere to finish
the work and complete this version of Canvas 2D.

-Charles