Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback by Amicable Resolution

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:23:53 -0700
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
CC: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On 8/22/2012 6:07 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 08/02/2012 04:06 PM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> In regards to the text in question I am prepared to withdraw my change
>> proposal in favour of Teds.
>
> This leaves only one active Change Proposal on this issue:
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/index.php?title=User:Eoconnor/ISSUE-201&oldid=13386
>

> At the current time, the chairs are issuing a call for consensus on
> this proposal.  If anybody would like to raise an objection during
> this time, we will require them to accompany their objection with a
> concrete and complete change proposal.
>
> If no objections are raised to this call by August 30th, 2012, we will
> direct the editors to make the proposed change, and will only consider
> subsequently reopening this issue based on new information and a
> complete change proposal based on the spec's contents as it exists
> after this change is applied.

The "Eoconnor" CP is a vast departure from the spec as it existed prior
and as it is implemented.
I don't believe one week is enough time to complete and submit a
concrete counter-proposal.

Further, the Canvas group just gained new editors; it has and will take
them time to catch up on the discussion.

We seem to have general consensus on many of the features: supporting
SVG path d; dashed lines, reporting the offset of text baseline
and supporting the binding of a hit region to a an element within the
sub-tree.

We do not have consensus about the new "Path" object, unbacked hit
regions nor the footprint of the text baseline reporting methods.
I intend a simple, incremental change to the existing Canvas
specification that more closely matches the design of Canvas
implementations and consumers.

-Charles