Re: Public Permissive proposed CR exit criteria (was Re: CR exit criteria and features at risk for HTML5)

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:20:18 +0800
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 5:39 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> Based on the discussion so far, I think most of the WG would support the
> following "Public Permissive" criteria. These allow a permissive definition
> of interoperability, like the previous "Permissive" version, but require
> all interoperability claims to be based on public, non-experimental
> versions, as with the previous "Strict" version.

Since this is very close to what has been used in practice by WGs, except
for the weakened requirement on TS  existence at exit time, I wonder if
there should be an additional, forward-looking requirement on the WG that
counterbalances the weakened TS req: namely, that the WG should
(eventually, within some documented period of time) publish a TS as a
deliverable even though it may come after PR/REC?

I ask this because an adoption of the permissive process may be deemed as
permission/agreement to NOT publish a TS at all (or ever)!