Re: CR exit criteria and features at risk for HTML5

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:26:52 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org
On 8/15/12 11:10 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> W3C Management feels strongly that getting to REC quickly is essential, and more important than creating an extensive test suite or proving interoperability in detail.
>
> Can reasoning be provided for this strong feeling?

Indeed.  Experience shows that the result will most likely be a REC that
can't actually be implemented without breaking web compat, so UAs will
either not follow the REC or errata will be needed on an ongoing basis.

Which raises the question of why such a REC is better than a CR that is
updated based on implementation and testing feedback.  I would really
like to understand the reasons why W3C Management thinks it is.

-Boris