Re: FORMAL OBJECTION (was RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-204 aria-hidden)

On Aug 14, 2012, at 5:39 PM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:

> Yet, that is what we sort of have, or have proposals for, today. Maciej has commented extensively on how VoiceOver might do this and that,

I also explained what it does today.

> but we've not heard from any other implementer how this would work,

It would be great to hear from other implementors of assistive technologies or browser-side accessibility code.

> and it places the burden of a mouth-stick user to always run VoiceOver,
> and then somehow magically trigger the non-visible link using their stick (or something like that... it is all very unclear how this would actually support such a user).

I'm pretty sure I didn't suggest that. I don't think a mouth-stick user who is not visually impaired would ever be exposed to the link, because they would not have access to the description. At least in Safari, aria-describedby is only ever exposed via output-side assistive technologies. If we implemented the "encouraged" behavior, I would not expect that to change.

Regards,
Maciej