Re: Audience Based Validator User Interface (ISSUE-206)

Hi Chaals,

> This really boils down to social engineering - we're trying to trick people
> into doing the right thing, and failing that the least harmful thing we an
> get them to do.

Trickery should not be our aim. The validator has historically been a
tool to help find and fix errors. Reversing that and dumbing it down
to by default hide errors would have repercussions.

Dmitry Fadeyev had an interesting post today [1]. In it he said, "What
the audience wants is not necessarily the same thing that they should
be given. Today's businesses don't seem to realize this, or, more
likely, choose to ignore this for their own benefit...your choice
whether that judgement be based on your experience, your knowledge,
and your reason, or on the instinct of the masses. What? You think
your judgement is to raise conversion rates for your own ends? So be
it, but that judgement will also be reflected back at you, being the
measure of you as a designer or as a journalist, and in turn through
the world that you help create. It's like saving money by buying cheap
materials to build a house with, not realizing that you're the one who
will be living in that house."

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://fadeyev.net/2012/08/06/judge/