Re: img@relaxed CP [was: CfC: Close ISSUE-206: meta-generator by Amicable Resolution]

Hi ben,

the default beahviour for most AT under most circumstances, when no
alt is present is to not inform the user that the image is present.
The user has no way to discern the presence of such an image , that is
problematic in cases where the image contains potentially important
information, that is the same case where the flag would be used.
Likewise some graphical browser do not indicate such an image when
images are disabled.

I can agree that the generation of a text string may be problematic ,
but do not agree that the presence of images "that are a key part of
the content" but "whose contents are not known" ( to use HTML5
terminology [1])  should not be indicated in some way via an agreed
method that allows allows user agents to flag their presence and
provide users with options.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-img-element.html#a-key-part-of-the-content

regards
stevef