Re: Support for the formation of the Web Hypertext Application Technology Community Group (was Re: HTML Working Group Changes)

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:35:56 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org
On 04/25/2012 06:18 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> On 4/25/12 3:45 PM, "Silvia Pfeiffer"<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> IIUC it provides for a legally clean contribution path of WHATWG
>> specifications into the W3C.
>
> Then by becoming a CG, that implies that there will no longer be two
> separate HTML specifications.  The W3C HTML WG would be 100% responsible
> for the official standard and no references to any other "complete"
> document calling itself HTML would exist - is that correct?
>
> Instead, the WHATCG would simply develop and publish new material that
> does not copy any existing material from the HTML spec - as other CG's do
> today.
>
> If so - that sounds like it would indeed address Steve's concerns and
> would indeed "reunifying development of the open Web platform under the
> stewardship of the W3C.".   If not, then I don't understand what the CG
> would be doing??

I encourage discussion about what the CG will be doing to go to the
mailing lists that are provided for that purpose: they are listed in the
top right of the following page:

http://www.w3.org/community/whatwg/

Of course, people are welcome to provide brief announcements and
occasional pointers on this list to relevant discussions that occur
elsewhere.

I also encourage people to read the FAQ that was prepared.  In
particular Q5g:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/html5-stabilization-plan.html#Q5g

> Leonard

- Sam Ruby