Re: Media Source draft proposal

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:36:02 +0200
To: "Aaron Colwell" <acolwell@google.com>, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "Mark Watson" <watsonm@netflix.com>
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:20:20 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Aaron Colwell <acolwell@google.com>
> wrote:
>> Adaptive Streaming in HTML5 applications:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Dec/0120.html
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/ADR_Error_Codes#Architectural_Models
> If this is non-controversial, I would suggest to just keep it in this
> forum and work towards inclusion into HTML asap. I wouldn't want to
> delay it by moving it into a TF whose focus is elsewhere. The adaptive
> streaming is pretty important stuff that people are asking for
> independently of encryption and want to use in particular for live
> streaming of HTML5 video, but also to provide more adequate quality
> video to the users.
> The Encrypted Media TF can discuss and propose changes to this
> proposal that are required for encryption purposes, but I do not
> believe that it would require a fundamentally different approach to
> adaptive streaming.

I agree, adaptive streaming does not need to be tied to "content
protection" and creating a task force covering both seems like a bad idea.
They are both related to HTMLMediaElement, but so are a lot of other
features that would presumably not be included. Opera is interested in
adaptive streaming and would not like to see it mixed up with the more
controversial issues.

Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer
Opera Software