Re: Media Source draft proposal

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:36:02 +0200
To: "Aaron Colwell" <acolwell@google.com>, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "Mark Watson" <watsonm@netflix.com>
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:20:20 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Aaron Colwell <acolwell@google.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Adaptive Streaming in HTML5 applications:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Dec/0120.html
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/ADR_Error_Codes#Architectural_Models
>
> If this is non-controversial, I would suggest to just keep it in this
> forum and work towards inclusion into HTML asap. I wouldn't want to
> delay it by moving it into a TF whose focus is elsewhere. The adaptive
> streaming is pretty important stuff that people are asking for
> independently of encryption and want to use in particular for live
> streaming of HTML5 video, but also to provide more adequate quality
> video to the users.
>
> The Encrypted Media TF can discuss and propose changes to this
> proposal that are required for encryption purposes, but I do not
> believe that it would require a fundamentally different approach to
> adaptive streaming.

I agree, adaptive streaming does not need to be tied to "content
protection" and creating a task force covering both seems like a bad idea.
They are both related to HTMLMediaElement, but so are a lot of other
features that would presumably not be included. Opera is interested in
adaptive streaming and would not like to see it mixed up with the more
controversial issues.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer