Re: Change Proposal for time element - add an era attribute

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:18:15 +0300
To: public-html@w3.org
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Ian Devlin <ian@iandevlin.com> wrote:
> My proposal: add an 'era' attribute to the HTML5 <time> element, can be
> found at -
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Idevlin/add_era_attribute_to_time_element

I object to this proposal, because I believe there aren't sufficient
use cases for machine-readable proleptic Gregorian BCE dates. (I'd
object even more to attempts to support Julian to Gregorian roll-over
in HTML5 date processing.)

I suggest searching for "proleptic Gregorian calendar" in the WHATWG
archives. It finds, among other things:
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-April/014557.html
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2006-August/007095.html

--