RE: CfC: Create Media Task Force

Hi Kornel -

You make a well-reasoned argument for why businesses who rely on content protection for web delivery of video are wasting their time. Similar arguments have been made many times before, year after year. Commercial video businesses hear these arguments, find them lacking, and continue to use content protection technologies for managed multimedia distribution.

The businesses I am talking about are not "Hollywood". It is not the theatrical film industry alone who uses content protection technology. It is the television industry, the multichannel video programming distributors (cable, satellite and telco), online educational institutions, and more. It is any business involved in the managed distribution of multimedia content over the web. And this industry is growing rapidly - as a result of "broadband-broadcast convergence".

To my way of thinking, the issue before us is not whether those businesses are correct in using these technologies. That is a decision they and the end-users of these video services have already made, and what we do or don't do in W3C will have no impact on either of their decisions.

The issue is whether end users who consume commercial multimedia content are better served by interoperability, and whether that interoperability should be defined in the W3C.

I believe the answer is yes and yes.

John

John C. Simmons | Media Platform Architect | Microsoft Corporation | direct 425-707-2911  | mobile 425-269-5759