Re: CfC: Create Media Task Force

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

>  If you mean documented anywhere, I don't think it's a necessary feature
> of such technologies that how they work is secret, any more than encryption
> algorithms need to be secret. It does help that encryption algorithms are
> by their nature hard to understand, where as DRM algorithms probably
> aren't. You could look at OMA DRM (
> http://www.openmobilealliance.org/technical/release_program/drm_v2_0.aspx)
> as a proof point, for example.

RF would be best obviously, but "documented somewhere" is closer to what I
had in mind.

I'm not sure what the W3C's role is in achieving those or how we formulate
> them into the Task Force objectives ?
>
>  We do already require interoperable implementations for a specification
> to progress (where I assume by "interoperable" we mean two UA
> implementations which, given the same input HTML/CSS/Javascript/Media/user
> input will produce the same output - pixels on the screen, sounds from the
> speaker etc.)
>
>  Would it be sufficient in this case to be more specific and require that
> there is at least one interoperable UA implementation from an implementor
> who is not also a DRM vendor ? This would provide an incentive for the DRM
> vendors to ensure that one or both of the above do happen in parallel with
> the specification work.

No, I don't think it would.

That would allow a situation where there's Clearkey or some other weak CDM
that can be used to demonstrate interoperability, but in practice Hollywood
requires all sites to use some "Microsoft CDM" or "Google CDM" that is only
supported by the DRM vendor's browser.

[This is a detail, but the second objective could also be achieved if it
> is clear what API a UA needs to provide so that a CDM which wraps the
> proprietary DRM product can be created *and* the DRM vendors then do create
> such CDMs.]

Yes. However, that has the additional issue of distributing those CDM
modules everywhere they're needed.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]