Re: ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:50:27 +0100
To: "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Hi Ted,

Given the major limitations on the use of the undbacked regions (only
semantics that can be applied are non interactive ARIA roles without any
properties/states, no regions that need to be focusable) I would like to
see some use cases described if possible.

The one example I saw in hixies general feedback email to whatwg was for a
role=heading, but as no property can be applied that indicates its level (
aria-level) how would the heading relate to the other heading elements in a
page? And what is the advantage over simply having a <hx> element in the
canvas sub DOM?

On 12 April 2012 16:03, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
> You wrote:
> >> I would be appreciative if you could provide in your change proposal,
> >> rationale and any details of how this aspect of hixie's hitregion()
> >> may be implemented to hook up with accessibility APIs:
> >> An unbacked region description consists of the following:
> >> Optionally, a label.
> >> An ARIA role, which, if the unbacked region description<
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#hit-region%27s-unbacked-region-description>
> also
> >> has a label, could be the empty string.
> > no rationale is provided for this aspect.
> Rationale is provided for unbacked region descriptions; see the
> paragraph beginning "DOM elements are expensive…".
> Oh, now I see that you also asked for "details of how [unbacked region
> descriptions] may be implemented to hook up with accessibility APIs."
> Describing such details is out of scope for the HTML spec, so I don't
> see why people would have to provide such detail in a Change Proposal.
> I note that the only other Change Proposal on the table for ISSUE-201
> also doesn't provide such detail.
> Ted

with regards

Steve Faulkner