RE: HTML.next and Rechartering

>>I personally don't think that the "Last Call" stage means much,

It means a lot to lawyers.  Last Call is when patent commitments come into play for changes after the first public Working Draft (first formal W3C public Working Draft, not an editor's draft).  That's why substantive changes can't happen after Last Call without returning to another Last Call.

When companies are asked to make patent commitments that puts constraints on how vague charters can be and also on needing a fairly small number of fixed times when lawyers need to worry about drafts.  Breaking up specs into smaller specs that each develop at their own rate is one possible way of dealing with that, instead of very large specs.

It would be interesting to see how legal departments could deal with "living specs" that continuously change when patent commitments are involved that go beyond your own contributions.  The idea now is that you take a look when there are going to be no more substantive changes.

None of that is a usual topic in a WG.

>>> public-html-request@w3.org Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:34:26 To: Maciej