Re: revert request for http://html5.org/r/6783 dropping of time element, adding of data element

From: Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:42:49 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
2011-10-30 22:56, Philip J├Ągenstedt skrev:
> What harm comes from <time> no longer being valid? AFAIK, Opera is the
> only browser that ever implemented any kind of support for <time> (DOM
> interface and in microdata), but even then it's rendered just like any
> other element.

There is also a question about NON BROWSER implementations, like server
and client side scripts, bots, etc.

I do not claim to have any data about this, but anecdotal evidence
suggest that there are quite a few efforts underway to make use of the
time element.

I did once upon a time suggest a <number> element, to be used for
spreadsheets and such, together with CSS rules to format those numbers
in locale specific ways.

http://t.co/scpNJpjC

Thus I am not completely opposed to having a way to mark up other kinds
of data besides time. However, speaking as an educator, my estimation is
that the now proposed <data> element is way too vague and generic.

(Yes, it slipped under my radar and I should have spoken out earlier,
however, I have also got a life to live and work to do...)

--
Lars Gunther
http://keryx.se/