Re: Change proposal for ISSUE-173: split-appcache

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:13:18 +1100
Cc: "public-html WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

On 12/10/2011, at 4:04 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:56:09 +0900, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>>  Rationale: AppCache is clearly not of the same maturity and quality as the rest of the HTML5 specification; take-up has been quite slow, and it's often remarked that it's confusing and surprising to developers. While the W3C is planning a workshop to help adoption, it's not at all clear that AppCache is a suitable base for offline Web applications. Furthermore, it is a clearly separable part of the HTML specification.
>
> A. It is widely implemented and used quite a bit too.

Those are by nature subjective judgements, of course. However, the fact that the W3C feels the need to sponsor a workshop whose goal can be accurately paraphrased as "let's figure out why the hell people aren't using AppCache and Widgets," it's a good indication that something's wrong.

See also the discussion on Steve Souders' recent blog entry:
  http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2011/10/03/improving-app-cache/

> B. It integrates quite deeply with document loading, navigation, and HTML parsing. It is not clearly separable.

In that case, I ask the chairs for permission to make a proposal in prose.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/