Re: ISSUE-133 modal-attribute - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:06:34 +1300
To: "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG LIST <public-html@w3.org>
On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:

> > Reminder: this closes Saturday…
>
> Indeed. Here is the completed Change Proposal:
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Eoconnor/ISSUE-133

Even though you've introduced a new stacking context rule that requires
layout engine changes, it still probably doesn't do everything you want.
For example if the <dialog> element is contained in a container with CSS
'opacity', 'filter', 'transform', 'clip-path' or 'mask' then your dialog
element won't appear the way you want it to.

We probably should align this with the fullscreen API to ensure they use
the same mechanism for placing stuff "on top of the page". There's a
discussion about this going on in the WHATWG list.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us