Re: CP remove hgroup add an outlineMask attribute.

On 11/07/2011 02:28 PM, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> The<hgroup>  element has no uniquely useful function other than to remove a
> heading from the outline generated using the outline algorithm.

As a general point, I disagree with this statement. To the extent that
one believes in semantics, the semantic of "subheading" is clearly
different from that of "heading" and it is not hard to imagine that UAs
may want to process them differently even when they do not implement the
full outline algorithm; e.g. a search engine may want to rank such text
above normal body text by below fully heading text, or an AT might want
to read a subheading together with its associated heading but in a
different voice.

This is not to say that something like <h2 subheading> could not work.
It has a reasonable fallback story but is verbose and feels a lot like a
violation of DRY, therefore making it ugly. It also has the same
problems that other proposals that don't group the heading and the
subheading; that is it makes it easy to author in a way that is not
processed as expected (e.g. putting the subheading before the heading
without explicit <section> elements), and hard to implement correctly
(presumably subheadings could occur anywhere in a section so one has to
scan a lot of the tree looking for them).