Re: CP no-change hgroup (ISSUE-164)

From: Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 20:01:56 +0100
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org
(Same apology as for the last email re possible dup.)

2011-11-06 11:27, Simon Pieters skrev:
 > ISSUE-164
 >
 > SUMMARY
 >
 > No changes.
 >
 > RATIONALE
 >
 > <hgroup> support has been shipped in multiple browsers,

But not in any meaningful way. The subtitle is not hidden as it should be.

Removing hgroup "support" in browsers should be trivial.

 > books explaining
 > its use have been sold, and content on the Web have started to use it.
 > Removing <hgroup> (and possibly using a different element or markup
 > pattern to solve the use case) is disruptive.

At least in the mind of the spec editor and a few more it *was* and
still *is* possible to remove <time> and instead use <data>.

<time> has seen considerably more use than <hgroup>.

<hgroup> is *not* being used in any meaningful way yet, since there are
no tools that actually honors its meaning. (At least no one has ever
come up with an example of the opposite in any discussion that I have
participated in.)

--
Lars Gunther
http://keryx.se/