Re: W3C Invites Broad Review of HTML5 [Press Release]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> W3C also reconfirmed today that, as announced, these specifications are on
> track to become stable standards in 2014.

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm curious: where does the
2014 figure come from?  I see it's in the group charter, but does
anyone think there's even a slight chance HTML5 will actually reach
REC by 2014?  Did anyone consult the editor, chairs, or others
directly involved in producing HTML5 before deciding on (let alone
publicizing) the 2014 figure?