Re: Fwd: Re http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/510

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 08:31:20 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>
On 2011-05-26 07:20, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> 3. Because it has a hash in he middle instead of at the end, typical
>>> serializers won't be able to use namespace prefix on output, so any
>>> files which use these URLs will by ugly, unreadable, and large.
>
> I don't understand this issue. Could you elaborate?
>
> If the URL syntax allowed the # character in a fragment identifier, we
> could avoid escaping the second one; would that help?

I believe that the problem is with RDF serializations that split the
full identifier into a prefix and a suffix, and use the suffix as XML
element name, such as in RDF/XML. In that case, both "#" and "%23" pose
the same problem.

Besides, the URI syntax does NOT allow unescaped "#" characters in
fragments; you can't simply change that to fix MD.

Best regards, Julian