Re: longdesc spec text

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 22:29:42 +0200
To: "Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis" <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, "Laura Carlson" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: "Geoff Freed" <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, "Jan Richards" <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:31:11 +0200, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
>> The spec language likely needs to be carefully coordinated with:
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/links.html#following-hyperlinks
>
> What text would you suggest for for longdesc in the  4.8.1 the img
> element section? I'm open to suggestions.
>
>> especially if its intended to encourage implementations such
>> as inline replacement, which the text above would seem to discourage.
>>
>> Most of the quoted text looks like it belongs in the informative
>> "Rendering" section rather than in the section describing the "img"
>> element:
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/rendering.html#links-forms-and-navigation
>
> We certainly could place it there. What do other people think?

Makes sense. I am wary about providing UI requirements - in the past,
getting them wrong (e.g. accesskey) has led to almost completely
destroying a good feature. They should certainly only be in a place that
talks about rendering and is only informative.

cheers

Chaals