Re: example spec text for longdesc

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:23:01 -0400
To: "Laura Carlson" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: "HTMLWG WG" <public-html@w3.org>
Cc- html accessibility TF (for trimming multiple X-posts).

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:36:32 -0400, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aryeh,
>
> Based on Lachlan's and Henri's feedback I deleted the sentence,
> "Conformance checkers should issue errors if the longdesc URL has
> certain file suffixes, such as .gif, .jpeg, .png etc.)", I could put
> something like it back if people think it would be useful to have it
> as a warning. Do you think that the example spec text is better with
> or without it?

The spec is seriously better without it. Sniffing based on the last few
characters of a URI is a bad idea. In addition, there are conceivable
cases where a longdesc (and to touch on a point I intend to answer later
today) actually refers to a media file, not just something whose allegedly
opaque identifier shares a superficial resmeblance to one.

cheers

Chaals