Re: ISSUE-155 table-border: Chairs Solicit Proposals

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:57:32 -0400
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> UPDATE: It turns out that HTML5 requires UAs to treat @border as a
> boolean:
>
> When present @border causes an 1px border. [1]  Except some bugs, this
> rule is well supported. For example, old and new versions of GUI
> browsers like Konqueror, Firefox, Opera, Webkit and IE, as well as text
> browsers like Links and w3m, all support it as a bolean.
>
> Thus, despite its current invalidity, @border is actually defined to
> work pretty much the same way my CP suggest.
>
> In light of this, I plan - within a few days - to update the CP to say
> that HTML5 should define @border as a boolean.

You missed the prose underneath:

"""
The table element's border attribute maps to the pixel length
properties 'border-top-width', 'border-right-width',
'border-bottom-width', 'border-left-width' on the element. If the
attribute is present but parsing the attribute's value using the rules
for parsing non-negative integers generates an error, a default value
of 1px is expected to be used for that property instead.
"""
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/rendering.html#punctuation-and-decorations

This test-case indicates very clearly that at least in Gecko, WebKit,
and Presto, border is not treated as a boolean: