Re: change proposals for issue-152

On Mar 24, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> yes, you are right. I noticed that the in-band functionality was
> missing the day after sending off the change proposal. Extension of
> the existing tracks IDL attribute for in-band media tracks could
> indeed solve this. I haven't fully thought through the
> advantages/disadvantages in comparison to creating a new IDL attribute
> of mediaTracks yet.
>
> I continue to believe that none of the existing proposals is perfect
> yet but that continued discussion will resolve the remaining issues,
> which are getting smaller and smaller.
>
> As for kind types: We did discuss the matter of track kinds that do
> not fall within the given defined list. There was even a proposal to
> introduce a registry. I believe that would be overkill. Instead, I
> believe we should list the most common ones and allow other strings,
> which will then be handled just like "metadata" on text tracks. Then
> it is possible for browsers to experiment with further kinds and bring
> them back into the spec as the list of kinds mature.

I agree. In DASH they use URNs for this kind of labeling, which does lead to unfortunately verbose names but at least enables people to create their own namespaces if they so wish.

In this context we could define some specific strings as is done for the text tracks and reserve all names beginning "urn:" for URNs.

I think the UA actually never needs to know what these strings "mean" - it's the application that will interpret them.

...Mark