Re: Option 3

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've made the point here before that "permission to do X" is not the
> > legal equivalent of "restriction on doing ~X".
>
> The fact that W3C claims a copyright on the document does add a whole
> lot of explicit restrictions though, right?

It's more explicit than that, even. The license in question [1] imports by
reference the W3C Document license [2] which says, amongst other things,
"No right to create modifications or derivatives of W3C documents is
granted pursuant to this license". The license in question then adds three
specific allowances, all specifically about software. Meanwhile, the GPL
is applicable to all copyrightable works, not just software.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0143.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231

At least, that's how Google sees this.