Re: example spec text for longdesc

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:33:58 +0100
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Laura Carlson, Mon, 21 Mar 2011 04:23:33 -0500:
> Hi Steve and everyone,
>
>> I'll try to upload this in a proper document like yours when I'm able.
>
> A draft is at:
> http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld-spec-text.html
>
> Leif, I tried to address your comment [1]. I took a portion of the
> second bullet.

+1 Super! (Typo: You had 'discription' 2 places in the text.)

Maybe this phrase, which Steve also had, needs thinking:

]]  and the value of the alt attribute and the content referenced by
the longdesc attribute is the img element's fallback content [[

May be it is the longdesc *URL* that should be described as fallback,
together with @alt? After all: we have several times made the point
that the @longdesc text is optional, the user must *choose* to follow
the longdesc link in order to get it. (This in contrast to
aria-describedby/aria-labelledby and in contrast to @alt too. [And, for
all I know, in contrast to the discussed aria-describedAT too.]) It is
also congruent with how, for instance <video> may contain a link to a
codec or direct download of the video in its fallback.

Bringing in the phrase 'textual substitute' as description of @alt
somewhere, would also be good (Vlad Alexander's proposal). Thus, for
instance the following reformulation of the above quote:

]]  and the value of the alt attribute is the img element's textual
substitute which, together with the URL of the longdesc attribute, is
the img element's fallback content [[
--
leif halvard silli