Re: Using ARIA to override semantics

Jonas,

For HTML 4: http://www.w3.org/wai/pf/aria-implementation  For ARIA 1.0 and
HTML 4.x all ARIA roles can override anything. We have added some
restrictions in HTML 5 based on the change proposals from Steve which now
also includes the chairs decisions.

For HTML 5: We have defined host language semantics in section 3.2.6 in
terms of ARIA. Where it has host language semantics you can see how it maps
to platform accessibility API here:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-api-map/overview.html#

Section 3.2.6 states what roles are allowed to overrided the default host
language semantics. When that happens the new role is assumed and you can
refer to the role mapping in the link supplied above.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group