Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-101 us-ascii-ref

On 16.03.2011 12:46, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Sam,
>>
>> the chair decision seems to be based on the assumption that the
>> reference isn't normative, and thus RFC 1345 is "good enough". I'm
>> *just* trying to understand the decision, because understanding it
>> properly is necessary to decide what to do next.
>
> The quote "good enough" appears nowhere in the decision.
>
> I repeat: if you wish to pursue this further, I suggest that you present
> new information as described by the decision, and accompany this
> information with a Change Proposal. I also encourage you to review the
> objections that were made to the previous proposal and to work with the
> individuals that made those objections.
>
> Once we have an actual Change Proposal in hand, we can discuss this
> further. Until then, the Chairs believe that the Group has duly
> considered the legitimate concerns of dissenters as far as is possible
> and reasonable, and that the group SHOULD move on.
>
>> Best regards, Julian

Sam,

with all due respect: I don't think I'm asking too much:

- do *you* consider the reference to be informative?

and

- what exactly does it mean when you say "While it was not found to be
the strongest objection, the fact that the IETF no longer considers this
RFC to be official is a serious issue is a strong objection that merits
consideration by the Working Group."?

It depends on the answers to these whether I'll file new bugs or
consider a formal objection.

Best regards, Julian