Re: Option 3

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> ****************************
>
> Copyright C 2010 W3CR (MIT, ERCIM, Keio).
>
> W3C liability and trademark rules apply.
>
> As a whole, this document may be used according to the terms of the W3C
> Document License
> <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231> .
>
> In addition, to facilitate implementation of the technical specifications
> set forth in this document, anyone may prepare and distribute derivative
> works and portions of this document in software, in supporting materials
> accompanying software, and in documentation of software, PROVIDED that all
> such works include the notice below. The notice is:
>
> "Copyright C 2010 W3CR (MIT, ERCIM, Keio). This software or document
> includes material copied from or derived from [title and URI of the W3C
> document]."
>
> ****************************

As this is a new license, it further increases license proliferation,
which Google finds objectionable.

Secondly, this license does not appear to be GPL-compatible, because it
applies additional constraints (e.g. it does not allow the content to be
merged into a non-software product).

Finally, the terms seem to disallow forking, which misses one of the main
reasons for a liberal license, namely, to allow spec forking so as to
encourage us to do a good job.

In conclusion, it's not clear that this really solve the problem of the
W3C HTML spec being under an overly-restrictive license. I highly suggest
we simply choose an existing liberal open source license (such as the MIT
license) rather than try to create a a new license.