Re: ISSUE-126: charset-vs-backslashes - Straw Poll for Objections

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 19:27:11 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:43:21 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> On 06.03.2011 17:19, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>> My goals would be:
>>> - either align parsing with HTTP; *or* be clear that this is specific
>>> to META, and consumers will need different parsing rules for the two
>>> protocol elements.
>>> - in the latter case, rephrase and possibly move the text we're
>>> discussing so it becomes crystal clear that this is error handling,
>>> and *only* applies to <meta>.
>>> - make sure that field values that are syntactically valid in HTTP and
>>> conforming in HTML have the same interpretation.
>>> - clarify how the two sets described above differ (for instance, if
>>> backslash doesn't do the same thing as in quoted-string it should be
>>> profiled out in HTML, this may already be the case).
>> All of this seems reasonable, if done with restraint. For example, I
>> don't think there's any point in handling backslash escaping, as no
>> encoding names include characters that need escaping, right?
> It's correct it's not needed for any valid encoding name. Thus claiming
> it MUST NOT be done is simply silly, right? In practice, it will never
> be an issue for valid encoding names, and thus I was surprised by the
> claim it is.

The spec shouldn't say that ignoring backslash escapes is necessary for
compat (it probably isn't), but handling them is more complicated than
ignoring them, so I don't think there's any reason to align with HTTP on
this point unless the whole algorithm (and implementations!) is change to
exactly match HTTP on all points.

Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer
Opera Software